If you can say yes to all of the following…
- I am aged 40 – 74
- I have not had a heart attack or stroke
- I do not have diabetes or kidney disease
- I have not had a Health Heart Check/NHS Health Check within the last 5 years
- I am not on medication for high blood pressure or a statin for cholesterol
You can find out about the FREE Healthy Heart Check!
Why should you book your Healthy Heart check?
- Even though you might be feeling great, you may be at risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, diabetes or dementia
- A free Healthy Heart Check can help you reduce the risk factors and make sure that you stay healthy
What happens during the test?
- The check will take about 20-30 minutes
- You’ll be asked some simple questions; for example, about your family history and your lifestyle choices
- We’ll measure your height, weight and calculate your BMI (Body Mass Index)
- We’ll check your blood pressure, pulse and cholesterol
- We will calculate a risk score
What happens after the check?
- We will discuss how you can reduce your risk and stay healthy.
- You’ll be taken through your results and told what they mean. Some people may be asked to return at a later date for their results
- You’ll be given personalised advice on how to lower your risk and maintain a healthy lifestyle
- You will be given information and contact details of local lifestyle services, e.g. your local stop smoking service
- Some people with raised blood pressure will have their kidneys checked through a blood test
- Some people may need to have another blood test to check for type 2 diabetes. Your health professional will be able to tell you more
- Your GP may decide to prescribe treatment or medication to help you maintain your health
- You can have a Healthy Heart Check at your GP practice, or at one of our community events
- If you are eligible you may receive a letter from your GP inviting you in for a check