The single best thing you can do for your health is to quit smoking. Tobacco smoke contains over 4000 chemicals which pass through your lungs and into your blood stream and surrounding body tissue. As well as dramatically reducing your risk of numerous cancers and cardiovascular disease there are a number of benefits such as: living longer, saving money and preventing your friends and family being at risk.
When you smoke a cigarette (or roll-up, pipe or cigar), most of the smoke doesn’t go into your lungs, it goes into the air around you where anyone nearby can breathe it in. Second-hand smoke is dangerous, especially for children and pregnant women. People who breathe in second-hand smoke regularly are more likely to get the same diseases as smokers, including lung cancer and heart disease.
Across Teesside thousands of people have stopped smoking with the support of the Stop Smoking Service.
The service provides:
- free information
- free, friendly, non-judgemental support and advice to help you stop smoking
- free support from a stop smoking adviser for 12 weeks
- free stop smoking medication (if you get free prescriptions)
- carbon monoxide checks at each appointment to show you how well you are doing
- a genuine welcome back if you start smoking again and want to have another go at quitting
- support by telephone helpline
NHS Choices information can be found here.
If you feel you are ready to quit smoking there any many services available to help you across Teesside, such as through your local Healthy Living Pharmacy, a drop in session or through your GP. Information on the local services can be found here.
You can contact the service directly here and someone will contact you.